Tuesday 12 July 2011

Booted out of Facebook!

Well, the mouse has been "removed" from Facebook for having a fake name, which is apparently contrary to the spirit of the beast. The Meg part was presumably OK, I suppose Aphonemouse was something of an unusual surname, which was probably what got me busted! Where, then, should I record the odd happening that ought to be preserved, for example, the story of the picture of Johnny Morris, Desmond Morris, and the Orangutan? Maybe this blogspot is the answer. Now back to the picture. I have been admiring a canvas which is on display in the very odd antique, bric a brac and french polishing shop at the top of my road. It is an oil painting, of well known TV presenter Johnny Morris (to the left), a man who I now know to be Desmond Morris (on the right), and monopolising the centre and majority of the canvas, a large and ruddy orangutan. I instantly coveted it, and every time I have gone past the shop, have wanted to go in and ask how much it was, although I recognise I don't exactly have a need for a canvas of Johnny Morris. I do have space on my downstairs toilet wall however. Today, I plucked up courage and went to enquire, only to be told it wasn't for sale at the moment! The shop owner hasn't decided what to do with it yet, as he had it on display, and the artist himself saw it and came into the shop. Apparently, the picture had been stolen from an exhibition he had on display many years ago. He photographed the picture, and signed the back for the shopkeeper. He explained that the picture was intended to be comic, as at the time Johnny Morris was seen as having a lighthearted view of animals, whilst Desmond Morris ( who hosted Zoo Watch at the time?) was much more serious. As the painting was displayed, a small card, like a post card, actually covered the middle bottom of the picture, and the shop keeper moved it to show that it had been deliberately placed, and was obscuring one detail of the picture - the Orangutan's penis, which Johnny and Desmond were at best indicating - at worst, they could be interpreted as touching or manipulating it. Which made the piece a little bit more difficult to sell, I imagine, and perhaps not what I wanted on display in the toilet after all. I was very disappointed. After all, the chances of me finding a picture of Johnny and Desmond Morris not behaving inappropriately with an ape is probably fairly unlikely, and I had already decided exactly where I wanted this piece to go. Maybe, if the shopkeeper does not come to an arrangement with the artist, I could buy the picture and the piece of card...

No comments:

Post a Comment